Monday, December 29, 2014

My opinion on American birth culture

     It is so frustrating to me to see all the drama and hot feelings that surround pregnancy and birth, although I am quite guilty of the same. In the interest of full disclosure, I will admit now that I am definitely part of the "empowerment" camp.

     As far back as I remember (actually I think it was when I read Little House on the Prairie with my mom in elementary school) I have believed is most logical to birth children at home. At the time, I reasoned that it is the way it has been done for thousands of years and only in recent times have women begun having their babies in hospitals.

     After the research I did while pregnant, my main argument is that the theme of pregnancy and birth in America is fear. Fear that "something will go wrong" with the baby or the pregnancy or the birth. This is so sad to me. Pregnancies are now filled with tests and checks and even multiple emergency room visits. Why on earth? It seems that nine times out of ten, there is little to no reason for all of these medical procedures. Even if something is "discovered", for example with ultrasound, often it can turn out to be a false positive. If the pregnancy and birth culture was not so fear-driven, women would be more confident in their bodies and not cart themselves off to the hospital when they don't feel the baby move for over six hours, or are dehydrated, or have some spotting.

      I say this out of love: CALM DOWN! If you are dying, you will know! If you are having a miscarriage, you will know! If something is actually really wrong, your body will tell you! Trust your body; trust yourself! Don't listen to all the negativity and fear mongering. Do your own research, talk to your significant other, make informed decisions that YOU can live with.  If you are having a perfectly average pregnancy and are of average to good health, there is literally no reason for you to be afraid.

     I think our culture and medical professionals inadvertently create a fearful environment. They warn of all the dangers of over-easy eggs and lunch meat; they emphasize the importance of not missing a single appointment or test; biggest question surrounding birth planning is "are you going to have an epidural or try to do it natural?", completely ignoring the thousands of other options surrounding labor.

     Choice as a whole is removed from the mother. When she checks into the hospital, she signs the forms that agree to the fact that there are medical professionals who must make their best informed professional decisions about her birth. Anyone who has checked themselves into the hospital and been upset with the results (excepting extremely irresponsible decisions, like malpractice) needs to realize they gave up their true power to choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment