Thursday, March 7, 2013

Instagram Hookup?

I love Instagram. I think its fun, easy, and cleanly setup. Its simple and classy. Except when you get to the part where people are desperate. Putting out your number on Instagram? "I'm bored, text me". Or this "kik" shit? Why do you want to talk to someone you don't know? You're following 387 people and you don't know enough of those people to call someone you know? Okay, so you want to make new friends, and yeah, through someone's Instagram you may be able to find someone with similar likes and dislikes. But is that seriously how we meet people now?

At least online dating is honest. Everyone's on that site to either fall in love or fall in bed. And everyone knows it. Nobody's "innocently" taking shirtless pics or shots from an angle that best accentuates their butt or cleavage. It's all purposeful. 

Telephones were invented to improve communications between people. That idea has disintegrated into cell phones retarding our ability to communicate. Absolutely true. Face-to-face time has become an app, "FaceTime", on a cell phone.

Social media is not real. Its a conceptual world. But judging one another based off of our online personae, has become more real than reality. Someone's profile picture has to be [insert adjective here] enough to project the version of yourself you feel like promoting. Your bio has to be witty/rebellious/simple enough to make you seem wittier/more rebellious/simpler than you actually are. Your relationship status online can define your relationship status in "real life". Neglecting to broadcast that you are "in a relationship" may just cause you to be out of one.

The 25-and-younger set has the ability to turn ANYTHING into a "let's-hook-up" activity. I think Facebook was originally supposed to be "a place for friends", but it's become "a place to emotionally cheat on your significant other". Instagram is now a popularity (how many likes can my photo get) contest. And Blogger? You tell me.

I am disgusted by the infidelity I see perpetrated and excused by social media. I am literally afraid of where the youngest generation and the next few generations are headed. I think it may be time for me to make a conscious and concerted effort to make my interactions with people the type that is the healthiest and simplest.

No comments:

Post a Comment