Sunday, March 16, 2014

I'm a shameless beggar!

Hello y'all,
Hope all is well with you. Devonney and I are doing great. Obviously the things I am able to do have changed with my mini-me in the picture.
One of the things I am not completely able to do right now is volunteer at my favorite summer camp: Royal Family Kids Camp in Big Bear. I have every intention of returning in the future and have greatly enjoyed maintaining friendships forged "on the mountain" in the meantime. Instead of counseling or trying to attend with/without the wee one, I'm sending out this letter to ask friends and family to think of camp this year (big tax refund, maybe? ;)) financially.
Royal Family Kids Camp is an amazing place. It happens by the grace of God every year. Just enough money flows in and just enough people volunteer at just the right time to make it happen. Most of the campers are living in dependancy care in a foster home or with extended family. Many of them, even at the ages of seven to eleven, have a history of abuse or neglect. They do not live in the suburbs; and they could definitely last longer in downtown LA than you or I could.
These children have had to grow up much faster than any child should have to, because of their harsh realities. When they get on the bus, they're all swagger and sway, little children emulating the adults they see in their neighborhood. But by the second day, they're realizing that no one at camp is here to judge them, hurt them, or ignore them. Their pure child spirits start to show, and by the end of our always-too-short week, there's been growth. Unfortunately, they have to go back to their home (or lack of one) and I know they often don't maintain their rediscovered innocence for long. But we pray they will come back next year.
RFKC has made an incredible impact on my life and so many childrens' lives. Some siblings only see each other once a year at camp. It's the only place these children are absolutely loved and safe; no matter what they do, they are gently and lovingly corrected.
Please, please consider Royal Family Kids' Camp in your prayers and your finances this year. Visit www.kidsnetla.org. ANY AMOUNT is helpful; every single dollar!  
Thank you,
Jessie

No comments:

Post a Comment